We have good news. Taylor Heidenheim, Matt Noble and Steve Russell met with the Director of Fraternity and Sorority Programs (Johanne Jenson) and former Dean of Students (Carol Thompson), and we have a tentative agreement to allow Gamma-Rho to come back to campus one semester early (Fall of 2012 vs. Spring 2013). We have a few things to resolve first: a meeting with our local advisors and UA staff and our advisors need to develop the materials required by Kappa Sigma national and the UA (due by the end of December). We will submit our formal request in-person during the spring to IFC.
We plan to be the #1 fraternity at UA as quickly as possible. Our focus will be to find members who want to return Gamma-Rho to excellence. We plan to merge what we all know as Gamma-Rho with a more formalized career internship and leadership development program. We will be looking for members who will be committed to the following (and hold members accountable for not meeting standards):
- BE A GOOD STUDENT – I will attend classes and set a goal of attaining no less than 3.00 GPA.
- BE INVOLVED IN THE CHAPTER – I will participate in at least one chapter committee annually and strive to serve in a chapter leadership position by the time I graduate. I will attend at least one Kappa Sigma Leadership Conference by the time I graduate. I will also commit to not missing more than one meeting per month.
- BE INVOLVED ON CAMPUS – I will participate in no less than one campus organization annually and strive to serve in a leadership position in at least one of these organizations by the time I graduate.
- BE INVOLVED IN ATHLETICS – I will participate in at least one intramural sport annually.
- BE COMMITTED TO COMMUNITY SERVICE – I will participate in at least one chapter service project per semester, provide no less than 10 hours of community service per semester, and contribute at least $25 annually to charity.
- BE A SOCIAL MEMBER – I will participate in most chapter social programs, such as: Date Dashes, Dinner Exchanges, Formal, Family Weekend, Homecoming Weekend, parties with other Fraternities/Sororities, etc. I will also, make it a point to be by the Chapter House at least once per week.
- BE COMMITTED TO CHAPTER HISTORY AND RITUAL – As a pledge, I commit to learning Kappa Sigma International and Local Chapter history. As an active, I commit to be ritually proficient at no less than the GMC level.
- BE RESPECTFUL TO EVERYONE – As a pledge, I commit to getting to know my pledge brothers, as well as active members of the chapter. As an active, I commit to treating pledges and actives with respect, and to getting to know alumni brothers. I will always be my “Brothers Keeper.” I will also be respectful to every guest at our Chapter House or at any off-site function.
- BE DEDICATED TO MAINTAINING A NON-HAZING ENVIRONMENT – As a pledge, I will not allow myself to be hazed. As an active, I agree I will never participate or tolerate hazing by others on pledges.
- BE DEDICATED TO FOLLOW RISK MANAGEMENT POLICIES – I will follow Fraternity and University policies regarding drugs and alcohol, and I realize that I will be suspended or expelled for not following these policies.
- BE COMMITTED TO RESPECTING OUR FACILITY – Every day, I will do my share to keep the house clean and maintained. If I cause any damage or throw glass on the property, I can expect to be suspended or expelled. As a pledge, I will participate in at least one clean-up per week. As an active/pledge, I will clean my assigned area of the house for the week assigned.
- BE RESPONSIBLE FOR RECRUITING NEW MEMBERS – I will strive to recruit at least one new member per year and I will attend all Rush functions.
- BE FOCUSED ON STRONG CAMPUS RELATIONS – I will understand that how I act in public is how others view the chapter. As such, I will act responsibly in my classes, resident halls, organizations, when I am out socially, etc.
- BE CURRENT FINANCIALLY – I will always pay my bills in-full at the beginning of each semester, or sign a payment plan to pay off my bills by the end of each semester. I understand that if I am more than 60 days delinquent, I will be filed to a collection agency and IMH to be expelled.
- LEAVE THE CHAPTER IN BETTER SHAPE THAN WHEN I LEFT IT – I will do whatever it takes to make Gamma-Rho Chapter a better fraternity than when I joined it.
- REMEMBER IT IS A LIFETIME COMMITTMENT – I will remain committed to the long-term success of Gamma-Rho Chapter and Kappa Sigma as an alumnus, by: volunteering for Kappa Sigma either here at U of A or in the community I live, contributing a gift annually to the chapter and Kappa Sigma within my personal circumstances, and by attending U of A Homecoming at least every three years
So far, here are the brothers who have stepped up to serve as a volunteer.
We still are looking for Asst. Advisors willing to help oversee Academics/Scholarship, Greater Cause (Philanthropy & Service), and Membership Development/Pledge Education.
So, how can you help?
1. Send us Recruitment Recommendations. Although we do not return to campus for one year, we would like recommendations for those coming this year to see if we can convince them to hold off on joining another chapter and wait for our return. They will be part of our initial interest group. Of course, we want recommendations for those coming to UA in the fall of 2012, as well.
2. Have those interested in finding out more about Kappa Sigma fill out theRush Interest Form.
3. Help us host a Recruitment/Rush Reception in your city. We have heard from a few alumni already. Please contact Matt Noble email@example.com, or 520-990-3250 if interested.
4. For those living in Tucson and Phoenix willing to serve on our Advisory Board, please contact Matt Noble at at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 520-990-3250.
5. Make a contribution to The Century Club. (have that link to a page with the letter we used for the AF mailing we did last week. Include signatories and donor list. Add in a line about “You can donate online via Paypal HERE (link http://www.uakappasigma.org/donate-online/) or if you wish to make a credit card gift by other means, please contact Craig Lowden at email@example.com